The Royal Embassy of Cambodia in Malaysia collaborated with the NOC Malaysia and the Ministry of Youth and Sports Malaysia has successfully organized the Malaysia-leg of the Cambodia 2023 Torch Relay on Tuesday, 11th April 2023, in Putrajaya, the Administrative Centre of the Federal Government of Malaysia.
The Torch Relay was jointly officiated by 5 distinguished guests as follows:
1. Y.B. Hannah Yeoh – Minister of Youth and Sports Malaysia
2. H.E. Mr. Ouk Chandara – Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Kingdom of Cambodia
3. H.E. Mr. Hor Sarun – Secretary of State of the Ministry of Tourism & Special Envoy of the National Committee of CAMSOC
4. Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin – Deputy President of NOC Malaysia
5. Dato’ Sri Megat D Shahriman Zaharudin – President of NPC Malaysia
In order to add meaning to the Torch Relay, the NOC Malaysia has specially arranged the following prominent athletes and SEA Games multiple gold medallists from the past four (4) decades to grace the event. They are:
1. Datuk Zaiton Othman (Athletics) – 5 gold medals in 1981, 1983 & 1989
2. Mdm. V. Angamah (Athletics) – 3 gold medals in 1981
3. Mdm. Nurul Huda Abdullah (Swimming) – 22 gold medals in 1985, 1987 & 1989
4. Datuk Shalin Zulkifli (Tenpin Bowling) – 22 gold medals from 1993 to 2019
5. Ms. Sharon Wee (Squash) – 5 gold medals in 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001 & 2005.
6. Mr. R. Puvaneswaran (Karate) – 5 gold medals in 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007 & 2009
7. Mr. Ng Shu Wai (Gymnastics) – 9 gold medals in 2001, 2003 & 2005
8. Mr. Muhammad Hakimi Ismail (Athletics) – 3 gold medals in 2015, 2017 & 2019
Y.B. Hannah Yeoh described the Torch Relay as the culmination of the ultimate teamwork, where sports administrators coordinated an event that involved past and present athletes to celebrate the upcoming SEA Games.
Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin, in his speech, thanked Y.B. Hannah Yeoh and the Ministry of Youth and Sports Malaysia for hosting the celebration of the “Torch” and the “Flame” of the 32nd SEA Games and the 12th ASEAN Para Games, which carries the values of peace, friendship and solidarity of the Olympic Movement around the premises of the Ministry, the Menara KBS.
He also thanked the following entities for supporting the organisation of the Torch Relay:
1. Perbadanan Putrajaya
2. National Sports Council of Malaysia
3. Royal Malaysia Police
4. Confucian Private Secondary School
5. Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina Choong Wen
6. Malaysian Contingent to the 32nd SEA Games Cambodia 2023 comprising of athletes and officials from the sports of Athletics, Cricket, Gymnastics, Hockey, Jet Ski, Karate, Pétanque, Triathlon and Wushu.
A total of 300 participants comprising of representatives from the Ministry of Youth and Sports Malaysia, the National Sports Council of Malaysia, the NOC Malaysia, the NPC Malaysia, the Perbadanan Putrajaya, the SEA Games multiple gold medallists, the athletes and officials of the Malaysian Contingent to the 32nd SEA Games, students from the Confucian Private Secondary School and Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina Choong Wen and the Cambodian community in Malaysia had completed the course of 3.3 km to and fro the Dataran Gemilang from the Menara KBS.
“Sports: Live In Peace”