The President, Executive Board and Management of the OCM express their heartfelt condolences to the family members of Mr. Perampalam Saravanamuthu, who passed away peacefully on Saturday, 10 December 2022, at the age of 88.
Mr. Perampalam Saravanamuthu was an active sportsman since his childhood. He was selected to represent Selangor Combined Schools in Athletics and Hockey. He was also selected to represent the Selangor State Hockey Team from 1960 to 1968. He was also a member of national Hockey Team participating in the Hockey Test Matches for the 4th Asian Games Jakarta 1962.
He was elected to serve the Hockey fraternity in various important positions as follows:
1. Honorary Assistant Secretary – Selangor Hockey Association (1959-1961);
2. Honorary Treasurer – Selangor Hockey Association (1979-1981);
3. Vice President – Selangor Hockey Association (1982-2002);
4. Honorary Treasurer – Malaysian Hockey Federation (1965-1986) & (1988-2002);
5. Honorary Secretary – Malaysian Hockey Federation (1986-1988);
6. Honorary Assistant Secretary – Asian Hockey Federation (1986-1988).
Besides Hockey, he was also actively involved in the administration of the Tamilian Physical Culture Association (TPCA) Sports Club having served as its Honorary Secretary (1961-1964), Vice President (1977-1993) and President (1994-2016).
In addition, he was also actively involved as one of the leaders in the Kuala Lumpur Hindu Youth, Statistics Sports Club, Selangor Government Services Sports Council, Malaysian Indian Sports Council and Malaysia Ceylon Saivite Association.
In recognition for his great contributions to sports and community services, he was conferred:
1. Pingat Jasa Kebaktian (P.J.K.) by The Duli Yang Maha Mulia Sultan Selangor, Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah in 1983,
2. Darjah Ahli Mangku Negara (A.M.N.) by The Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka Baginda Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Iskandar Ibni Almarhum Sultan Ismail in 1985
3. Darjah Ahli Mahkota Perak (A.M.P.) by The Duli Yang Maha Mulia Sultan Perak, Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah in 2000.
He was inducted into the Hall of Fame of OCM during the 20th OCM Annual Dinner and Awards Night (the Malam Olympian) on Friday, 14 December 2012, at the JW Marriot Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
“It is no doubt that Mr. Perampalam Saravanamuthu had contributed significantly to the development of the sport of Hockey in Malaysia. On behalf of the OCM, we would like to express our deepest condolences to his family” quoted Tan Sri Dato’ Sri (Dr.) Mohamad Norza Zakaria, President of OCM.
The demise of Mr. Perampalam Saravanamuthu is a great loss to the Hockey fraternity in Malaysia. May his soul Rest in Peace.